Dr. Ibrahim Yakubu Tudunwada
Following continuous agency restructuring for greater productivity and efficiency, CAR-NARSDA has a new Director/CE on the 8th May, 2023.
The new Director/CE was well received by the Center’s management and staff and immediately began working with them to find new and better ways to build on the accomplishments of the outgoing Supervisory Director in carrying out the Center’s mission in accordance with the Director-General’s expectations.
Dr Ibrahim Yakubu Tudunwada was born on 1st July 1967. He did his primary education at Tudunwada Central Primary School from 1971 – 1978. He attended Barewa College Zaria from 1978 – 1983. He is a graduate of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria where he got BSc. Agriculture (Soil Science) in 1989. He obtained a Master’s degree in Land Resources Development from Bayero University, Kano, in 1998 and Ph.D. Geography in 2007.
He has a Certificate in GIS & Remote Sensing from the Regional Centre for Training in Aerospace Survey (United Nations Commission for Africa) Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife in 2009. He also obtained Advanced Certificate in Geo – Information Production and Earth Observation for Natural Resources Management, from ITC, University of Twente, Netherlands in 2016.
He worked briefly as a lecturer in the Department of Soil Science of Bayero University, Kano after which he transferred his services to the National Space Research & Development Agency. He served as a Chief Scientific Officer in the National Centre for Remote Sensing, Jos. He was posted to serve as the Coordinator of the Zonal Advanced Space Technology Applications Laboratory, Kano from 2012 to 2022. He was transferred to the Atlantic International Research Centre, NASRDA headquarters from November 2022 to May 2023 as the Director. He has been recently appointed as the Director/CEO of the Centre for Atmospheric Research Ayingba.
Dr I.Y. Tudunwada has is also serving as a visiting lecturer, internal examiner and supervisor of undergraduate and post graduate students in Bayero University, Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil and FUT Minna.
He has been involved in the following national and international projects:
- National Food Security Information Early Warning System
- West Africa Environmental Management Initiative
- Integrated Mission for Sustainable Development
- National Land Use and Land Cover Project
- National Agricultural Land Information Platform
- Flood Vulnerability Mapping & Forecasting in Jigawa State, 2018 – 2021
- Geospatial Assessment of Desertification Due to Land Use & Climate Changes in North Western Nigeria, 2021 to date
- Member, STARS project (Spurring a Transformation for Agriculture through Remote Sensing). The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid-Tropics (ICRISAT) Country office, Kano, Nigeria: 2015 to 2017.
- Member, Kano State Agricultural Technical Committee, 20th June 2016 to date.
- Member, on behalf of NASRDA, TRIMMING project: Participatory Soil Salinity/Sodicity Management for Sustainable Crop Productivity under Irrigation and Improved Livelihoods in Kano River Irrigation Project. March, 2019 to date
- Member, Strategic Plan Development Committee for Upscaling Agricultural Productivity in Kano & Jigawa States. From 2019 to present
He has over thirty journal and conference publications in both national and international journals. He is a member of Soil Science Society of Nigeria and Geo Society of Nigeria.
Dr Ibrahim Tudunwada currently holds the following community responsibilities:
- Chairman PTA Alhaji Akilu Comprehensive Secondary School Madobi, Kano State. From 2014 to present
- Chairman, Tudunwada Local Government Academic Forum. From 2016 to present.
- Vice Chairman, Geoinformation Society of Nigeria, Kano State Chapter. From 2018 to present
- Trustee, Association of Masters in Sustainable Development Practice of Nigeria, August 2015 to date
He attended the following international fellowships:
- GEOSS Workshop on Decision-Making Support for Coastal Zone Management, Water Resources & Climate Change in Africa. 15th – 18th February, 2010. Cotonou, Republic of Be
- Sustainable Management of Soil & Water Resource Organized by International Agricultural Research & Training Center, Menemen, Izmir, Turkey. 2nd to 13th July 2012.
- Water Management: Decision Making, Environmental Aspects & Risk Assessme MASHAV Israel’s Agency for International Development Cooperation. Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The Robert H. Smith Faculty of Agriculture, Food & Environment Rehovot, Israel. The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. October 7th – 31st, 2013
- Two weeks training on Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) and applications of Remote Sensing in Agriculture. ICRISAT Bamako Mali, April19th– May 2nd
- United Nations/Germany International Conference on Earth Observa Global Solutions for the Challenges of Sustainable Development in Societies at Risk. Hosted by UN-SPIDER Bonn Office, 26th – 28th May 2015, Bonn, Germany
- International Hands-on Training Workshop on applications of Remote Sensing in the Semi – Arid Tropics Using machine Learning Algorithms and Spectral Matching Techniques. Organized by Centre for Dry Land Agriculture, Bayero University, Kano and International Crops Research Institute for the Semi – Arid Tropics (ICRISAT). Kano Office. From 26th – 30th August, 2019.
- Training Workshop on Advanced Satellite Remote Sensing Virtual Platforms for Agricultural Resilience Monitoring & Vulnerability Assessment. Department Of Earth & Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri – Kansas City, USA, August 23rd – 27th, 2021.